[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Tue May 22 15:10:16 PDT 2012

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Martin Rex wrote:
> >
> > The discussion seems to circle around braindead software on small devices.
> > There is no requirement for the software that visualizes RFCs on small
> > devices to waste most of their fingernail screen real estate with a
> > representation of the pre-pagination page breaks.  It would be trivial
> > to not display them at all.
>
> That is true. However, in my opinion it would be better to explicitly
> make page numbers a local matter.

What I dislike is the constant confusion of "screenful" (in particular
for small devices) with "page", a term from the paper-area.

Since RFCs do NOT change after publication, the preformatted page
numbers are completely stable and there is *NO* confusion about what
page 87 of rfc1122 refers to.  And pages are currently the anchor
tags that work for *ALL* existing RFCs through the

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfcXXXX

interface.  There are a number of older RFCs where section number anchor
tags work poorly (just top level sections as e.g. rfc1122, rfc1123)

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1122#page-87

or not at all (e.g. rfc2743).

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2743#page-42

So it is extremely helpful that page number anchor have been available as
stable, unambiguous fallbacks when discussing and refering to
specific contents of existing RFCs with URLs.

> > Nope, I prefer to limit quotes to what I believe matters -- but for
> > fairness I would like to include an URL that puts the quoted information
> > directly on-screen when clicked and enables others to check the vincinity
> > of the quoted text to see whether that quotation is "out of context".
>
> A page number is not really better than a section reference in this regard.

It often *IS* much better, in particular with the existing RFCs.

Refering to a specific element from an ASN.1 module or other data
in the appendix of an RFC would be awkward without page numbers,
e.g. the ASN.1 definition of a CRL in PKIX/rfc5280:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#page-118

-Martin