[rfc-i] feedback on draft-hoffman-rfcformat-canon-others-00, was: RFC Format - final requirements and next steps

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri May 18 11:00:37 PDT 2012

On 18 May 2012, at 18:26 , Paul Hoffman wrote:

>> Being able to do "cat rfc12345.*" or open the file in a browser and have it display in a reasonable way would be good.

> You are not answering the question above. Why do you need to be able to display the *canonical* version on dumb tools when there are perfectly displayable alternative versions that are retrieved the same way?

Let me use an analogy. 20 years ago, when you wanted to meet someone in the city for a drink, you had to agree on a time and place in advance. Now, you just use your cell phone to coordinate things on the go.

Having to plan in advance for every kind of access and make sure you have the right format of an RFC downloaded or that links point to the right format is an additional hurdle that I would prefer not having to take.

Obviously there will be alternative formats, but I would very much like the canonical format to be as omni-useful as possible.