[rfc-i] feedback on draft-hoffman-rfcformat-canon-others-00, was: RFC Format - final requirements and next steps

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri May 18 10:23:23 PDT 2012

>Being able to do "cat rfc12345.*" or open the file in a browser and
>have it display in a reasonable way would be good.

When I do "cat rfc12345.txt" the text whips past and leaves only the
last 30 lines or so visible in the window.  So the current format
totally fails that test.

This argument is getting really silly, you know.  The number of
fundamentally different devices on which people are likely to read
RFCs isn't that great: computers with big screens, computery things
with small screens, sheets of paper, assistive devices, maybe one or
two more that I can't think of right now.  People read lots of
documents on all of them every day.  I don't understand why people are
so desperate to reinvent a wheel that happens to be 11 inches high and
8.5 inches wide.

R's,
John