[rfc-i] feedback on draft-hoffman-rfcformat-canon-others-00, was: RFC Format - final requirements and next steps

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 17 11:45:44 PDT 2012

On 5/17/2012 11:36 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-05-17 20:28, Joe Touch wrote:
>> Here's some of my feedback on this:
>>
>> Sec 2 is incomplete as follows:
>>
>> - It specifies the format of paragraphs, but the semantic content of
>> text is significantly affected by structure, such as heading level,
>> numbering, lists, and sometimes indentation (whether you agree or not,
>> this is still the standard for bulk inclusion of quoted text).
>
> Yes, lists will need to be addressed, in particular list with hangIndent
> format.
>
>> - it specifies UTF8, but is it limited to printable UTF8? what does TAB
>> mean? (what are default tab settings, or is it always "add 8 spaces"?),
>> etc.
>
> UTF-8 is a character encoding scheme; the actual character repertoire to
> be used is an orthogonal problem. As TABs are not allowed right now, I
> would assume that they'd also not be allowed in the future.

Hi, Julian,

UTF8 includes all the ASCII control chars. There are also multi-byte
control sequences (C1 controls).

We probably still need to exclude all but a subset of them (as with
current RFCs).

We probably also need to define what we expect happens to invalid
sequences and "Private Use" sequences, or to prohibit their use as well.

Joe