[rfc-i] feedback on draft-hoffman-rfcformat-canon-others-00, was: RFC Format - final requirements and next steps

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu May 17 11:36:43 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-17 20:28, Joe Touch wrote:
> Here's some of my feedback on this:
>
> Sec 2 is incomplete as follows:
>
> - It specifies the format of paragraphs, but the semantic content of
> text is significantly affected by structure, such as heading level,
> numbering, lists, and sometimes indentation (whether you agree or not,
> this is still the standard for bulk inclusion of quoted text).

Yes, lists will need to be addressed, in particular list with hangIndent
format.

> - it specifies UTF8, but is it limited to printable UTF8? what does TAB
> mean? (what are default tab settings, or is it always "add 8 spaces"?),
> etc.

UTF-8 is a character encoding scheme; the actual character repertoire to
be used is an orthogonal problem. As TABs are not allowed right now, I
would assume that they'd also not be allowed in the future.

> - text art is not appropriate unless there's a way of indicating
> fixed-width font for that portion of the document; regardless of whether
> 90 chars can be printed, the art is nonsensical unless in fixed-width
> font (which then begs the question of font indication)

Yes, that needs to be addressed.

Best regards, Julian