Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Wed May 16 21:30:53 PDT 2012

I actually do agree that page numbers should go, but people can make an
argument for why section numbers are not suitable.  Even in a section that
spans just a few pages, it can be hard to direct people to exactly the right
paragraph.

I think the right solution is to have numbers on each paragraph.  I would
not want them visible, but have them in the document so they can be
referenced.  Certain tools might even display them (including some web sites
that do further massaging of the RFCs for presentation).

I might be mistaken, but I think that's how Kindle numbers locations, too.
It's a bit odd, but workable.  (And, yes, the general public screamed for
page numbers and I wish Amazon had not caved on that.  Now there are page
numbers on my Kindle for which I have no use... they span several
"e-pages".)

Paul