Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed May 16 17:55:06 PDT 2012

On 5/16/12 6:07 PM, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi at gmx.net> wrote:

> * Martin Rex wrote:
>> Page numbers are extremely useful!
>
> I remember being confused about this the very first time we were to read
> some book for school and ... were supposed to buy one particular edition
> of it, even if we had the book already, just so the page numbers match.
> Then I learned that books that are often used in school are regularily
> updated in ways that slightly change the page numbers. Found that funny.

This phenomenon will also be familiar to anyone who has ever sung the
Messiah ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_(Handel) ) with a large
group.  Roughly half the group will have the Schirmer version
(http://goo.gl/ds2q3) and the other half will have the Shaw version (
http://goo.gl/AnEbY).  Page numbers are completely worthless, and even
better, the section marks are in slightly different places.  There is always
much flailing about until the director realizes that the only thing that is
useful are the measure numbers, or he/she gives up and buys everyone a copy
of the version they prefer out of his/her own pocket.

The problem is so bad that a *third* book is really the right way to solve
it (http://goo.gl/I5ush), which has the section marks and page numbers from
the other two books marked in cool typographical conventions throughout.

--
Joe Hildebrand