[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed May 16 04:36:09 PDT 2012

On 16 mei 2012, at 09:36, Martin Rex <mrex at sap.com> wrote:

> While I'm 100% positively certain that ASCII text will be easily
> readable and comprehensible in 2000 years from now,  XML, HTML and Unicode
> could easily require a Rosetta Stone.  Needless complexity.  Too much
> concern about the exterior appearance, ignorance of internal values.

Well, in 2000 years only scholars in ancient languages will understand English, and I would hope RFCs are moved to historic in less than 20 centuries.

But what do you suggest instead? Although ASCII text is on no danger of becoming impossible to decode, it has become a lot harder to work with (see pagination discussion) and doesn't allow for metadata and markup that tools need but gets in the way of understanding the content if not hidden.