[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue May 15 22:35:27 PDT 2012

On 5/15/12 11:10 PM, "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

> There's no problem if newer RFCs don't have pages, and don't use page
> numbers to reference particular fragments.

+1

> But there's a problem if and when we want to convert the old RFCs to the
> new format. There is surely text inside and outside of RFCs that
> references fragments in an RFC by page number, and we have to make sure
> that these page numbers still work (on all devices), into the future.
>
> So probably the new format has to use a delimiter like
> or something similar for old RFCs *only*.

We could keep the old canonical versions around as stable references, on
their existing URLs, then provide a new URL scheme for converted docs with
the new reference scheme, if indeed we want to convert the old docs.

Converting old documents to the new scheme doesn't seem like a terribly high
priority to me, but it's "just code", particularly if the XML still exists.

--
Joe Hildebrand