[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue May 15 22:30:54 PDT 2012

On 2012/05/16 2:49, Martin Rex wrote:
> Joe Hildebrand wrote:

>> The only case I think for page numbers is so that if you drop a printout,
>> you can easily reorder the pages without printing again.
>>
>> In other words, I disagree thoroughly with all of the assertions that we
>> need page numbers in any of the electronic forms of documents.
>
> Whenever I go to Online shops or discussion forums, the information
> is paginated, often around 10-20 items per page by default.  And for
> some of the online offerings, the pagination is much worse than
> anything common in the offline world.

While page numbers in (current-style) RFCs are stable, we should be
aware of the fact that this is not the case for IDs. When referring to
ID fragments, (sub)section titles are better than (sub)section numbers,
and these are better than pages. We seem to do fine with this for IDs,
so I'm expecting it to also work with RFCs.

Regards,    Martin.