[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue May 15 22:24:21 PDT 2012

On 2012/05/16 0:47, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> This is of course why some legal documents have every paragraph
> numbered individually. Anyway, maybe I'm too rooted in the Gutenberg
> revolution, but the idea of archival documents, which might still
> be relevant 50 years from now, not having a canonical pagination
> seems very strange to me. I think it makes it significantly
> harder to find your way round a document, especially a large one.

Just one data point: the W3C, from Tim Berners-Lee on down, cares
tremendously about long-term continuity, in particular for their
Technical Reports (Recommendations,...). However, it has been able to do
without page numbers since 1996, and will continue to do without page
numbers for the next 50 or 100 years.

Regards,   Martin.