[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue May 15 22:10:35 PDT 2012

On 2012/05/16 4:33, SM wrote:
> At 11:08 15-05-2012, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> To be fair, normally citations are done by page number according to
>> various style guides. Without page numbers, we break that convention.
>
> I don't recall this point being mentioned before. If that convention [1]
> is broken, is there a workaround?

There's no problem if newer RFCs don't have pages, and don't use page
numbers to reference particular fragments.

But there's a problem if and when we want to convert the old RFCs to the
new format. There is surely text inside and outside of RFCs that
references fragments in an RFC by page number, and we have to make sure
that these page numbers still work (on all devices), into the future.

So probably the new format has to use a delimiter like
or something similar for old RFCs *only*.

Regards,    Martin.