Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue May 15 15:01:23 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-15 23:52, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012, Julian Reschke wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure people have asked for user-selectable fonts. I *do* see a
>> requirement to select font *sizes*, for accessibility reasons.
>
> Once the output format is "flexible" or "changeable" or
> "customizable", changing fonts and sizes is a natural consequence.
> That's what happens with HTML and browsers today, it's generally
> considered a Good Thing, ditto for reflowing. The downside is that it
> MAY completely ruin carefully designed and "beautiful" pages that were
> /designed/.

That is true. Is that a problem? If people choose to use an ugly type
face: their problem.

>> Not sure what you mean by "formatting".
>
> Justification for example, italics for example, indentation for
> example.

OK. I don't think we have discussed this in detail so far.

>> "Re-flowable text" naturally follows from different device sizes.
>
> That seems to be the current thinking, how "natural" it is I think
> we could debate, designers certainly would debate it.

Then you may be talking to designers who haven't understood how to
design for different output devices.

>> Did anybody ask for "artwork that moves"? If so, I missed that.
>
> Artwork moves when the text reflows, or perhaps the artwork stays put
> while the text "moves" (reflows). That means you can no longer say:
> "...the diagram to the right shows..."

Right now we only have artwork *between* paragraphs. Unless we change
that, it won't "move".

>> Finally, it's not only about "small" devices but also about "large" devices.
>> For instance, I personally like to use the full width of my display for test
>> display if I choose to, but the current fixed-with format doesn't allow me to
>> do that.
>
> Understood.
>>
>> Thinking about good design is good. We probably haven't discussed that because
>> we don't have it right now, and everybody assumed it will be better in the
>> future (for some value of "better").
>
> By "good design" I am referring to "readability" and "clarity."
> Perhaps these are over-used terms in this context, but I would not
> want to throw out "design intent" in favor of output device
> "flexibility". To put this a different way: I would much rather have
> a more "modern" format that looks good when printed and displays well
> on "large" screens rather than optimizing the output for my iPhone.

I don't think that talking about "iPhone" is helpful here. Being able to
check a piece of text on a <4inch display is a nice-to-have. I would
draw the line around 7inch, or even 10inch. What we currently have
doesn't work well even on 10inch.

> I agree that it is (probably) possible to come up with a source format
> that will satisfy all these requirements, I am just not seeing a lot
> of discussion here about what exactly we want/need and why in terms
> of richer media etc.

Probably because most of us would be completely happy with something
simple which just isn't as bad as what we have today.

Best regards, Julian