[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Tue May 15 14:34:58 PDT 2012

Julian Reschke wrote:

> > RFCs specify data and functions in abstract fashion, program source code
> > specify a particular implementation.  If the RFC can not get along with
> > plain ASCII, then it is probably not a technical specification that
> > others want to implement, but rather demo/marketing/sales material.
>
> OMG. Did you ignore the whole requirements discussion?
>
> Did you ever have to write/review/implement a document that deals with I18N?

No, I'm not in the Human UI business.

For protocols and machine-level interop, visualization of glyphs outside
of US-ASCII is irrelevant.

Just how many documents in the IETF RFC series are there where positioning
or shape of non-ascii glyphs are vitally important.  I would assume that
those are few, and probably _not_ scattered over all IETF areas and
protocol layers.

It might be more appropriate to address such documents with a specific
exception, rather than a "the tail wagging the dog" approach.

-Martin