Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue May 15 13:13:14 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-15 22:03, Martin Rex wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> You're confusing a means for grouping information by topic (=sections)
>>> and location information for the purpose of easy navigation (=pages).
>>
>> Sections are for grouping logically. Pages are for grouping by page
>> boundaries. Both can be used as locators. More things can be used as
>> locator, though, and HTML is very good at that.
>>
>>> You're suggesting that "where Julian lives" is a suitable location
>>> information an we should be getting rid of postal / street addresses.
>>
>> What I *am* saying is that using page numbers as locations doesn't work
>> well if the method you use for reading doesn't work well with the
>> pagination method that was used.
>

> The page numbers of RFCs refer to the page numbers as present in
> the canonical publication format.
>
> If I would refer to some page in Stevens' Unix Network programming
> or Bruce Schneier Applied Cryptography by page number, I would hope
> that any EBook or other electronic publications of these (if they exist)
> would retain references to the page numbers of the original publication
> format, so that they still work.

I don't think that's the case.

> If the problem that you're making up was real, then it would
> cause problems whenever I resize my browser window while looking
> at an RFC rendered by http://tools.ietf.org/html/

I don't understand what you're talking about. The documents at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/ are just HTML variants of the pre-paginated
text files, thus the page numbers do not change on resize. They are part
of the *content* being displayed.

> I have never noticed any problem on any of the PCs and notebooks
> I use, so either the problem does not exist at all, or it is a
> defect of the rendering software of (some of) the small devices,
> and could be sufficiently addressed by a code change of probably
> a few hundred lines -- once and for all.

Apparently we're talking past each other. I recommend that you actually
*try* an eBook reader, or a tablet device, and see how reading the
current format works for you.

Best regards, Julian