Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue May 15 13:09:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:03:19PM +0200, Martin Rex wrote:

> The page numbers of RFCs refer to the page numbers as present in
> the canonical publication format.

That's only because the canonical publication format has page
numbers.  I think some of us are arguing that that feature is stupid
and broken and ought to be dispensed with.  I know I am.

> If I would refer to some page in Stevens' Unix Network programming
> or Bruce Schneier Applied Cryptography by page number, I would hope
> that any EBook or other electronic publications of these (if they exist)
> would retain references to the page numbers of the original publication
> format, so that they still work.

If they're any good they do, but only because they have to accommodate
the legacy paper book format.  On my Kindle, it is easier to refer to
things by "location" than page number.

> I have never noticed any problem on any of the PCs and notebooks
> I use

Ah, yes, the well-known, "This is not a problem for me, so it must not
be a problem," argument.  I'm delighted at least to see it expressed
so baldly.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com