Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Tue May 15 13:03:19 PDT 2012

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Martin Rex wrote:
>>
>>> Pre-paginated output should be the exception. In consequence, fixed page
>>> number references are something we need to get rid of. We have section
>>> numbers for a reason.
>>
>> You're confusing a means for grouping information by topic (=sections)
>> and location information for the purpose of easy navigation (=pages).
>
> Sections are for grouping logically. Pages are for grouping by page
> boundaries. Both can be used as locators. More things can be used as
> locator, though, and HTML is very good at that.
>
> > You're suggesting that "where Julian lives" is a suitable location
> > information an we should be getting rid of postal / street addresses.
>
> What I *am* saying is that using page numbers as locations doesn't work
> well if the method you use for reading doesn't work well with the
> pagination method that was used.

The page numbers of RFCs refer to the page numbers as present in
the canonical publication format.

If I would refer to some page in Stevens' Unix Network programming
or Bruce Schneier Applied Cryptography by page number, I would hope
that any EBook or other electronic publications of these (if they exist)
would retain references to the page numbers of the original publication
format, so that they still work.

If the problem that you're making up was real, then it would
cause problems whenever I resize my browser window while looking
at an RFC rendered by http://tools.ietf.org/html/

I have never noticed any problem on any of the PCs and notebooks
I use, so either the problem does not exist at all, or it is a
defect of the rendering software of (some of) the small devices,
and could be sufficiently addressed by a code change of probably
a few hundred lines -- once and for all.

-Martin