[rfc-i] RFC Format - legacy RFCs

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue May 15 12:26:59 PDT 2012

>new format (but obviously without bells and whistles). If not,
>we'll end up with two classes of RFCs, and that has many downsides.

We already have two classes of RFCs, the early ones that primarily
exist as PDF scans, and the later line printer format ones.  Two and a
half if you consider the Postscript ones where the line printer format
one is just a stub telling you to look at the Postscript.

History suggests that if we switch to some more modern format, people
will re-code some of the existing ones into the new format, but the
existing versions of existing RFCs will remain canonical.  I don't see
this as a big deal.

R's,
John