John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue May 15 12:22:31 PDT 2012

> Are there really PDF visualization tools for small devices that
> display a screen-size&zoom-factor dependent "how many pgdowns to the
> end of the document" rather than the current page number of the
> pre-pagination where the currently displayed part of the document
> originates?

No, it's worse.  On my Kindle, the normal way to display a PDF is to
shrink the pages to fit on the screen, which makes them totally
unreadable.  You can tell it to zoom in, but then you have to scroll
painfully back and forth down each page, then tell it to advance to
the next page and do it again.

On the other hand, if I use the obvious toolchain to go from xml2rfc
to html to mobi format, the documents look great, and have lovely
section numbers.

In my experience, people who think that line printer format and PDFs
work on small screen devices don't actually use small screen devices.

R's,
John