Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Tue May 15 12:06:01 PDT 2012

Dave Crocker wrote:

> Martin Rex wrote:
>>
>> Page numbers are extremely useful!
>
> Only when they relate to pages.  As soon as we go to a format that
> adapts to screen size, the concept of "page" becomes largely relatively
> or otherwise so artificial as to be distracting (IMO).

That seems to be confusing a very local concept of pages with
pages of a document.

When run Acrobat Reader, it doesn't matter how small the window
is or how large I zoom in, the page number at the top always
refers to the page in term of canonical pre-pagination -- and
how often many times the document fits into the current window
size at the currently active zoom factor is _completely_ irrelevant.

> And in variable presentation environments page number, the visible
> 'location' on my display is likely to be different from yours.

Why should this be any different for small devices?

Are there really PDF visualization tools for small devices
that display a screen-size&zoom-factor dependent "how many pgdowns
to the end of the document" rather than the current page number of the
pre-pagination where the currently displayed part of the
document originates?

> With that kind of presentation variability, section numbers become a
> better reference.
>
> > You're confusing a means for grouping information by topic (=sections)
> > and location information for the purpose of easy navigation (=pages).
>
> Sections define location, too.

Section numbers define information grouping.

When you say "I am from country xyz", "I am from state rst" or even
"I live in city uvw" then this is "group information",
if you say "I live at GPS coordinates Lat aaa.bb.cc and Long ddd.ee.ff",
then this is location information.

And while the former conveys useful information, it is regularly
insufficient for meeting appointments.  Introducing artificial requirements
such as "all cities MUST be smaller than 1 acre" so that the name of the city
can be (ab)used as location information does not seem like a good idea.

-Martin