[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue May 15 11:09:49 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-15 19:49, Martin Rex wrote:
> Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>>
>> "Martin Rex"<mrex at sap.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> There would be the option for the visualization software to display
>>> the page break with a simple horizontal line instead of
>>> 2 blank lines + footer + FF + header + 2 blank lines,
>>> and only the actual size of the latter seems to be the contentious issue.
>>
>> Pages are an artifact of a world that is soon to no longer exist; I'd say
>> this is one of the reasons why we're building an Internet in the first
>> place.

I agree with *Joe*, except I'd restrict it to *pre*-pagination.
Pagination on demand is used a lot (think ebooks), and will continue to.

> Pages are pretty real in my world, and I expect them to be live and kicking
> in a century from now, online and offline, while I'm less sure about
> the iPhone to exist in a century (other than in museums).

How is the iPhone relevant?

The key question is whether the "devices" that display pages will all
have the same page size. That assumption was weak 30 years ago
(different paper sizes), and is entirely wrong today.

>> The only case I think for page numbers is so that if you drop a printout,
>> you can easily reorder the pages without printing again.
>>
>> In other words, I disagree thoroughly with all of the assertions that we
>> need page numbers in any of the electronic forms of documents.
>
> Whenever I go to Online shops or discussion forums, the information
> is paginated, often around 10-20 items per page by default.  And for

And often, they allow to change the default. Also, how often does their
default happen to be a good fit for the device you are using?

> some of the online offerings, the pagination is much worse than
> anything common in the offline world.

Yes. Because it's much simpler to paginate when you only have to do it
for a single physical dimension.

Best regards, Julian