[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue May 15 11:08:46 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:32:51AM -0600, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> The only case I think for page numbers is so that if you drop a printout,
> you can easily reorder the pages without printing again.

To be fair, normally citations are done by page number according to
various style guides.  Without page numbers, we break that convention.

That isn't to say we shouldn't.  Scholarly work has always had to have
exceptions for this sort of thing, because of the problem of different
editions.  (When I could still pretend to be a scholar, in my
discipline this was a problem all the time, because texts tended to
have come from more than one source and are often in translation.  So,
for instance, one uses Bekker numbers for Aristotle, proposition
numbers for much of Wittgenstein, and so on.)

The RFC Editor could just state somewhere that correct references use
section numbers rather than pages to refer to parts of RFCs, and then
style guides ought to follow.  It's a bit of an academic point, but I
think we ought not to neglect it.  People need to refer to RFCs.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com