[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Tue May 15 10:49:42 PDT 2012

Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:
>>
>> There would be the option for the visualization software to display
>> the page break with a simple horizontal line instead of
>> 2 blank lines + footer + FF + header + 2 blank lines,
>> and only the actual size of the latter seems to be the contentious issue.
>
> Pages are an artifact of a world that is soon to no longer exist; I'd say
> this is one of the reasons why we're building an Internet in the first
> place.

Pages are pretty real in my world, and I expect them to be live and kicking
in a century from now, online and offline, while I'm less sure about
the iPhone to exist in a century (other than in museums).

> The only case I think for page numbers is so that if you drop a printout,
> you can easily reorder the pages without printing again.
>
> In other words, I disagree thoroughly with all of the assertions that we
> need page numbers in any of the electronic forms of documents.

Whenever I go to Online shops or discussion forums, the information
is paginated, often around 10-20 items per page by default.  And for
some of the online offerings, the pagination is much worse than
anything common in the offline world.

-Martin