[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue May 15 10:00:17 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-15 18:40, Martin Rex wrote:

>>> Because there are numerous sections that span multiple pages, and
>>> it is really helpful when you can specify locations in a specification
>>> with reasonable proximity -- and that page-based location information
>>> remains valid across all display devices.
>
> page-based location information only makes sense if is pre-paginated
> and canonical.

Yes. That's why I believe we should get rid of it.

>> So what you're saying is that it's a good tradeoff for readers
>> of ALL RFCs on ALL devices where the page length and the display
>> length are not identical to be annoyed dozens of times when reading
>> an RFC because they have to navigate across superfluous page boundaries
>> in order to make it easier to accommodate the very occasional situation
>> where someone wants to refer to the middle of a long section that
>> the author couldn't be bothered to break up in subsections?
>
> The discussion seems to circle around braindead software on small devices.
> There is no requirement for the software that visualizes RFCs on small
> devices to waste most of their fingernail screen real estate with a
> representation of the pre-pagination page breaks.  It would be trivial
> to not display them at all.
>
> Do those fancy devices have a requirement for pocket-book printers, or
> are they capable of driving regular printers with DIN A4 or Letter paper
> size?

I don't think anybody who wants to read RFCs on devices like these would
consider the ability to print them as a good solution.

> Rendering pre-formatted and pre-paginated ASCII (such as existing RFCs)
> smarter on small devices can probably done by a single person in less
> than a week and is close to a no-brainer (but one that is meeting strong
> resistance).  Writing the software to render HTML on a device that

Go ahead.

> does not have that software is a lifetime project.

Can you identify the device you want to use that doesn't display HTML?

> rfcmarkup, the script that produces the HTML display on
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280
> knows quite well where page breaks, header&footers are.

Yes. But it sometimes fails for other things, such as understanding what
a section reference actually refers to. For these things, it's based on
heuristics. It's done well, but still sometimes it fails.

> If HTML is as versatile as folks claim it to be, why does it take regular
> long discussions, rather than adding the 10 lines of code to rfcmarkup
> that enable small devices to not display the page breaks for folks that
> dislike them?

The page breaks are just one problem; reflowing paragraphs is the next
one (the software needs to understand the difference between artwork,
tables, lists and plain paragraphs, rfcmarkup does not do that).

>> I would argue that if the desire arises to refer to text that doesn't
>> start very soon after a section header, the author has done a bad job.
>
> You're calling for a 20-page size limit for specifications.

BS.

>> I would also think that referring to text is only necessary when
>> it's too long to quote,
>
> Nope, I prefer to limit quotes to what I believe matters -- but for
> fairness I would like to include an URL that puts the quoted information
> directly on-screen when clicked and enables others to check the vincinity
> of the quoted text to see whether that quotation is "out of context".

Indeed. That's an argument for a usable anchor points inside the
document, not necessarily page boundaries. For instance, rfc2629.xslt
generates an anchor for each paragraph.

> Usually, when implementing an RFC, I do just the same: quote the lines
> relevant to a block of code from the RFC into a comment of the code
> and include an direct URL to that part of the RFC.

+1

> RFCs specify data and functions in abstract fashion, program source code
> specify a particular implementation.  If the RFC can not get along with
> plain ASCII, then it is probably not a technical specification that
> others want to implement, but rather demo/marketing/sales material.

OMG. Did you ignore the whole requirements discussion?

Did you ever have to write/review/implement a document that deals with I18N?

> Do we need a third demo/marketing/sales track for IETF documents?

No.

>> And although deep study or review of an RFC or draft may happen using
>> a hardcopy,
>
> That is what I usually do when implementing a larger spec for the
> first time.  I print it out, read through the document 2-3 times,
> paging back and forth and marking all parts relevant for the initial
> implementation, and then start implementing and copy&pasting snippets
> of the online RFC into comment lines in front of code blocks or
> functions/modules.
>
> Doing this for current RFCs is easy and fast.
> Doing the same for ISO-specification (e.g. X.509) is a royal PITA,
> because of the PDF format with 100+ chars line lengths and ripple
> left margin.

Use an editor that can reformat.

> Discussing paragraphs from ISO-specs is also a royal PITA because of
> the difficulty of quoting the stuff in plain text EMail and because
> I can not include functioning URLs that will position mail recipients
> at the exact location of the spec with a single mouse-click.

+1

> PDF is nice for printing and archival, but significantly lacks
> in comparison to the rfcmarkup that is available on tools.ietf.org.

PDF can have the same type of link targets, they are just harder to
discover. rfc2629toFo.xslt generates them.

> Being able to convert an RFC into some format that I might personally prefer
> with fairly simple scripts is a temendous advantage, as demonstrated by
> the rfcmarkup and 2-column document diff display on tools.ietf.org.

That argues for a format that can be transformed to plain text
(something I would agree with), but not necessarily for the format
*being* plain text.

> A complex document format like XML or HTML is a dead end road, to get
> from there to other places, it always requires significant familarity with
> the underlying data format, multi-megabytes software and moderately sized
> software projects rather than an all-nighter with no prior knowledge
> about the document format.

Disagreed.

You seem to be on a vendetta against XML parsers and browsers. I don't
think that's helpful.

>> I think most referrals will be followed in electronic form,
>> preferably through a hyperlink. In that case, page numbers aren't the
>> most obvious mechanism.
>
> Only if the page-numbers are based on canonical pre-pagination.
>
> Table of contents are normally part of the document, and they would
> be pretty useless without canonical pre-pagination.

They are useful without pagination as well.

>> Perhaps an example of where the omission of page numbers would
>> be problematic would help.
>
> There is no requirement that the software you use for reading RFCs
> visualizes the original pre-pagination, headers&footers.  Maybe you're
> simply using the wrong software?

If it doesn't, then, for instance, the page numbers in the TOC and the
index become less useful.

Best regards, Julian