Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue May 15 09:09:50 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-15 17:28, Martin Rex wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>>
>>> Indeed. And since we allow internal page references, getting rid of
>>> page numbers is not an option.
>
> Page numbers are extremely useful!

If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

>> Pre-paginated output should be the exception. In consequence, fixed page
>> number references are something we need to get rid of. We have section
>> numbers for a reason.
>
> You're confusing a means for grouping information by topic (=sections)
> and location information for the purpose of easy navigation (=pages).

Sections are for grouping logically. Pages are for grouping by page
boundaries. Both can be used as locators. More things can be used as
locator, though, and HTML is very good at that.

> You're suggesting that "where Julian lives" is a suitable location
> information an we should be getting rid of postal / street addresses.

No, I'm not.

What I *am* saying is that using page numbers as locations doesn't work
well if the method you use for reading doesn't work well with the
pagination method that was used.

Best regards, Julian