[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue May 15 09:07:14 PDT 2012

On 15 May 2012, at 17:47 , Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Anyway, maybe I'm too rooted in the Gutenberg
> revolution, but the idea of archival documents, which might still
> be relevant 50 years from now, not having a canonical pagination
> seems very strange to me. I think it makes it significantly
> harder to find your way round a document, especially a large one.

That is certainly true when you print out a document, but the question is: are "local" page numbers sufficient in that case, or do they need to be "global"?

I agree having the same page numbering regardless of the environment in an RFC is displayed is useful, it's just that I don't think this usefulness outweighs the downsides, which are rather severe. For instance, unless you're also too rooted in the line printer revolution, you must be familiar with the headache of printing an RFC in such a way that logical and physical pages match.