Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue May 15 08:36:52 PDT 2012

On 5/15/2012 8:28 AM, Martin Rex wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>>
>>> Indeed. And since we allow internal page references, getting rid of
>>> page numbers is not an option.
>
> Page numbers are extremely useful!

Only when they relate to pages.  As soon as we go to a format that
adapts to screen size, the concept of "page" becomes largely relatively
or otherwise so artificial as to be distracting (IMO).

With that kind of presentation variability, section numbers become a
better reference.

> You're confusing a means for grouping information by topic (=sections)
> and location information for the purpose of easy navigation (=pages).

Sections define location, too.

And in variable presentation environments page number, the visible
'location' on my display is likely to be different from yours.

d/
--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking