[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue May 15 07:47:39 PDT 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 11:13 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>> Page length is a similar issue but not nearly as problematic, because jumping over some headers/footers is annoying, but doesn't get in the way of readability
>
> Indeed. And since we allow internal page references, getting rid of
> page numbers is not an option.

Why are page references so much better than section references that we need to have pages in the canonical format? In an unpaginated document, "the third paragraph of section 3.2" is more likely to be definitive than "the third paragraph on page 17", given that page 17 has a high likelihood of starting with a partial paragraph. In such a case, is the "third paragraph on page 17" the third text chunk or the fourth?

--Paul Hoffman