[rfc-i] RFC Format - legacy RFCs

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue May 15 01:48:00 PDT 2012

On 15 May 2012, at 10:29 , Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> I would suggest that
> we need an elegant method of presenting legacy RFCs within the
> new format (but obviously without bells and whistles). If not,
> we'll end up with two classes of RFCs, and that has many downsides.

Automatic conversion from the XML2RFC and/or nroff sources would be relatively easy if there was no manual tweaking by the RFC Editor to create the ASCII version. Automatic conversion from the current ASCII format to a new format will probably work well in most cases but probably requires some review of the results to be sure.

That leaves the old RFCs that don't conform to the current ASCII layout. I'm not sure wrapping them in a new format that really only displays the old format is very beneficial, though.