"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue May 15 00:56:40 PDT 2012

On 2012/05/15 16:45, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 2012-05-15 08:27, Julian Reschke wrote:

>> Pre-paginated output should be the exception. In consequence, fixed page
>> number references are something we need to get rid of. We have section
>> numbers for a reason.
>
> Actually, if we follow an HTML direction, you don't even need that
> for internal references. But I don't think it will be easy to get
> rid of pagination. I think it was invented for a reason, and we
> will have to deal with in the legacy RFCs anyway.
>
> I find pagination useful when I need to study a document in close
> detail, for which purpose a hard copy in "booklet" format is
> generally better than reading it on a screen. In contrast,
> on-screen, pagination is just a nuisance.

I of course also print RFCs and IDs on separate sheets of paper, not on
scrolls (even if I wanted, I wouldn't have the hardware to do this).
When printing, pagination is indeed needed, but it can be different for
different people/devices/...

With stylesheets, it is possible to e.g. avoid page breaks between a
section title and the corresponding text, to insert page breaks at
crucial locations, and so on, although browsers still vary in how well
they support this. Basic pagination is of course already possible in any
browser, just by printing the stuff out.

Regards,    Martin.