Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon May 14 05:05:34 PDT 2012

On May 13, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

>> I don't think Heather said "I cannot change the I-D format, but I will
>> change the RFC format" which seems to be what you are implying here.
>> She (and the rest of us) are working on a document that describes some
>> requirements, desires, wishlists etc, I don't think we are anywhere
>> near a point where Heather is about to announce what the new format
>> IS, so I think you are just mis-reading the above without the proper
>> context.
>
> Could be. I haven't been here from the start and I don't know all the IETF procedures and bylines by heart. As long as all of this happens with IETF-wide rough consensus in the end it's all good.

No, the RFC Editor is tasked to look beyond the IETF-wide consensus:

   In order to develop the RFC Publication series the RSE is expected to
   develop a relationships with the Internet technical community.  The
   Editor is expected to engage with the Internet technical community in
   a process of articulating and refining a vision for the Series and
   its continuous evolution.  The RSE is expected to also engage with
   other users of the RFC series, in particular with the consumers of
   these documents such as those people who use them to specify
   products, write code, test behaviors, or other related activities.

From http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-05 (which is approved and in the RFC Editor queue)

You are currently observing consultation and from what I see the RFC editor is taking into account a large range of diametrically opposing input and using a reasonable process trying to make choices and vet them with this list. But, if you have any indication that process is not implemented as expected, then the ultimate authority is the IAB.

--Olaf

For full disclosure, I have no strong opinion on the ultimate choices, but I am interested in seeing this process work.

NLnet
Labs
Olaf M. Kolkman

www.NLnetLabs.nl
olaf at NLnetLabs.nl

Science Park 400, 1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands