Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Sun May 13 17:21:35 PDT 2012

I think the deeper point is that the IETF processes for changing the
operation of the IETF have always tended towards deadlock and inertia.

That is why I am thinking that we are likely to have to think in terms
of a two phase strategy.

Phase 1:

Develop a HTML RFC format that is logically equivalent to RFC2XML
format and tools to convert from XML to the new HTML markup and back.

The submission tool would accept input in XML, plaintext or HTML
format. No need for multiple submissions any more. The format
conversion would be done by the RFC tools.

This would allow for many but not all of Heather's requirements to be
met but would not support graphics or equations. The HTML permitted
would be a strict subset.

Phase 2:

Once people are submitting docs in HTML form it will be much easier to
get the graphics changes through.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/