[rfc-i] Multiple HTML formats, was: RFC Format - final requirements and next steps

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun May 13 08:51:46 PDT 2012

On 13 May 2012, at 17:42 , Paul Hoffman wrote:

> There are different ways to do the same thing in HTML. Tables can be formatted in different ways to cause or avoid line breaks in cells. What you wrap around preformatted text can vary. Metadata for document parts can be encoded in many ways. None of this is a criticism: HTML works a heck of a lot better for most things than plain text.

> If you have just one format of HTML, you end up with many people underserved unless they do their own transformation before reading the HTML.

Like I said, if that is the case then this is a failure of the chosen HTML format. All of this (well, all of it that is within reason) can and should be addressed using mechanisms such as user specified CSS files that make it possible to keep the same basic RFC file.

Remember, the only thing we're trying to do here is publish specifications and other things that are 99% text, with enough markup so that tools can recognize which parts are what. We shouldn't even want to have tables, because those don't adjust to varying display widths. Use lists instead.