Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun May 13 07:33:11 PDT 2012

On 5/13/2012 7:17 AM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
>> I find it very strange that apparently the RFC Editor has been given
>> >  authority to unilaterally decide on a new RFC format. Writing RFCs
>> >  is the core business of the IETF. As such, the way I see it, the
>> >  format of RFCs must be decided upon through the usual IETF decision
>> >  making mechanism.
>> >
> Whoa...
>
> I don't think Heather said "I cannot change the I-D format, but I will
> change the RFC format" which seems to be what you are implying here.

Deeper point:

    The RFC Editor has never formally or actually been entirely subject
to the IETF rough consensus process.

Formally and actually there has, I think always, been a consultation
process, but that's quite a different thing.

While it would test the system for the RFC Editor to go wildly away from
any obvious community rough consensus, that's a practical point, not a
formal one.

d/

--
  Dave Crocker