Ole Jacobsen ole at cisco.com
Sun May 13 07:17:33 PDT 2012

On Sun, 13 May 2012, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 11 May 2012, at 18:50 , Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>
> > Thanks to the feedback from the community, I've modified the
> > requirements for the format of RFCs (which ties in I-D format
> > as well, though any actual change to I-D format is outside my
> > purview).
>
> This is by no means meant to suggest you are doing a bad job, but:
>
> I find it very strange that apparently the RFC Editor has been given
> authority to unilaterally decide on a new RFC format. Writing RFCs
> is the core business of the IETF. As such, the way I see it, the
> format of RFCs must be decided upon through the usual IETF decision
> making mechanism.

Whoa...

I don't think Heather said "I cannot change the I-D format, but I will
change the RFC format" which seems to be what you are implying here.
She (and the rest of us) are working on a document that describes some
requirements, desires, wishlists etc, I don't think we are anywhere
near a point where Heather is about to announce what the new format
IS, so I think you are just mis-reading the above without the proper
context.

Ole