Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Fri May 11 09:50:00 PDT 2012

Hi all -

Thanks to the feedback from the community, I've modified the
requirements for the format of RFCs (which ties in I-D format
as well, though any actual change to I-D format is outside my
purview).  I've collapsed two categories in to one (Edit and
Review) since they have almost exactly the same requirements.
RFC Editor requirements in most cases are similar to Edit/Review,
but with a few unique ones important to the editors.  Archive
and End consumption still vary.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/wiki/doku.php?id=formatreq
(point of order - is it better for me to include a link as above,
or copy the list in to the email?)

At this point, I would like to encourage people to submit (or
point to existing) I-Ds with these requirements and requests as
input.  I do not expect any proposed solution can meet all the
needs and wants listed by the community, but I'd like to see how
close we can get.

Note that the deadline for I-D submission for an initial document
to be discussed at IETF 84 in Vancouver is 2012-07-09.  I don't
expect to make a decision at the Vancouver meeting, but I will
likely host a BoF to discuss what has been submitted and next steps.

Thank you again for the input so far!
Heather Flanagan, RSE