[rfc-i] Relation to other RFCs - Updates

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 3 13:51:09 PDT 2012

On 5/3/2012 9:43 AM, Martin Rex wrote:
> so for consistency,
>    IPv6 does not "Obsolete" (=completely replace) IPv4,

TCP-AO obsoletes TCP MD5. It is not backward compatible, but is intended
as its replacement.

As others have noted, this is another use of "obsoletes", i.e., "use
this [complete] spec, not the obsoleted one".

So we could have decided that IPv6 obsoleted IPv4 (even though we
didn't). The point isn't backward compatibility; it's whether the
issuance of the new protocol is intended as a replacement for the old
one AND the old one should *now* no longer be used.

Joe