[rfc-i] RFC Heresies

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Mar 29 00:31:53 PDT 2012

On 28 Mar 2012, at 10:38 , Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> With Larry's list of entities in mind, let's not forget that one user of
> the format is the RFC Editor team. Perhaps they could let us know how
> they consume the metadata in, say, the xml2rfc format (it at all).

Although the RFC Editor is important, let's not forget that most drafts never reaches them (it?). Even drafts that eventually become RFCs go through many, many revisions before that, and imposing requirements at that stage that make life for draft writers and editors (the human kind) harder without any benefit at that stage would be bad.

I'm not sure to what the actual rules for drafts are, but there is certainly an expectation that they comply with the nits list. One thing we could do is explicitly allow unpaginated and unindented drafts, which makes generating them with something other than XML2RFC a lot easier.