[rfc-i] illustrations & equations rare: extra overhead for creating them acceptable

Larry Masinter masinter at adobe.com
Wed Mar 28 09:13:55 PDT 2012

I suggested MathML for math and SVG for diagrams (with text alternatives) because those are part of HTML5 and supported by many modern browsers without conversion, referencing, or resorting to "data:" URLs. They're also resolution independent.

I do think limiting the complexity of diagrams and illustrations is important, and people are concerned about size, complexity, etc.

But perhaps the normal review of working group approval, IETF last call, etc., could  filter for complexity.

For example, we might well want to disallow color in diagrams and illustrations.

Larry