[rfc-i] Unicode or UTF-8

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Mar 28 08:52:00 PDT 2012

On 28 Mar 2012, at 17:42 , Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> If these are character sets that are routinely emitted by a sizeable
> number of authoring tools then we should support them as input.

Nothing good can come of accepting different encodings that do the same thing.

If we want to go beyond ASCII, UTF-8 is a no-brainer, because there is no difference between a file that is in US ASCII and a file that is in UTF-8 but just happens to have no code points > 127, it's widely supported in OSes and on the web and it's the only Unicode encoding that has a reasonable chance of being accepted by applications that don't explicitly support Unicode. It's also easy to strip out.