[rfc-i] RFC Heresies

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 07:53:58 PDT 2012

I find UML descriptions of data structures to be completely useless.

I find finite state machines to be an essential design tool. And like
it or not these are best represented graphically.

Given what has been acceptable to the IETF community in the past, I
can't see the risk that they accept fancy diagrams being a problem.

The problem with ASCII art is that even when the content is
significant, the presentation renders it worthless.

Trying to solve this problem by blocking changes in the document
format is futile.

The IETF has already lost its position as the authoritative standards
body over Web related stuff to W3C and W3C has in turn lost half of
that remit to OASIS. Now that was probably unavoidable and necessary
as the IETF processes have limited scale and there is no way that the
IETF could be doing everything that IETF+W3C+OASIS do today.

But the IETF is about to loose control of PKIX to an outside body. Or
rather the loss of control is about to become apparent. For the past
12 months I have been one of the few arguing against that and now I
simply do not have any arguments left.

Just how far does the organization want to have its scope stripped
back before it recognizes that maybe a technology organization has to
be capable of change if it is going to survive?

Website: http://hallambaker.com/