[rfc-i] illustrations & equations rare: extra overhead for creating them acceptable

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Mar 28 05:20:15 PDT 2012

On 28 Mar 2012, at 14:12 , Julian Reschke wrote:

> Actually, we want to limit the level of complexity, not the actual image size (Retina? SVG?)

We want to limit both. The trouble with vector formats is that they have unbounded data size and can only be decoded by complex / slow software. So as far as I'm concerned, SVG is out.

Please don't encourage Apple by using the word "retina". Yes, very high resolution images look nice, but a good number of misguided individuals will take advantage of the huge canvas by cramming in lots of small details and type. Or tiny type in a sea of white. I've encountered numerous network diagrams that required a good bit of zoom to make the text labels more than two pixel high on my _desktop_, let alone on a mobile device. So a pixel limit makes sense to me. Of course that's mostly treating the symptom, not the disease.