[rfc-i] RFC editing as protocol design

Larry Masinter masinter at adobe.com
Tue Mar 27 23:56:13 PDT 2012

We are doing protocol design.  We're looking for "rough consensus and running code" to establish the necessary standards for this protocol.

The "roles" in this protocol include:

ID-editor
       ID-submission-agent
ID-reviewer
RFC-editor
       RFC-publication
RFC-reader

Are there more?  The protocol has various communication paths between the parties involved and various options. There are many desired characteristics of this protocol, including ease of use by human agents, availability or constructability of tools to perform transitions.

We're starting from a problem statement that the current protocol standard for the RFC-publication => RFC-reader is not rich enough to carry information that the ID-editor wants to communicate, and have the ID-reviewers review.