[rfc-i] Resetting this format debate a bit

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 27 10:09:51 PDT 2012

Tim Bray <tbray at textuality.com> writes:

> 3. There are those who are irritated because many RFCs are provided in
> a form that I can't print on a Mac without investing a chunk of money
> and lots of disk space on software (Dave tipped me off that you can
> print them properly using MS Word), and which I can't read easily on
> the mobile devices that travel around with me and I use for a large
> and growing proportion of all my interaction with media.

Mac OS X has a Unix heritage, and comes with a wide range of
traditional command line tools.  Have you tried something like
"enscript -l rfcXXXX.txt"?  Or maybe
"enscript -l -p - rfcXXXX.txt | pstopdf -i -o rfcXXXX.pdf" if you want
to convert it to PDF?  The "-l" option, unsurprisingly, stands for
"emulate line printer"...

Of course, there's also the RFC Editor's PDF-format archive, as Alice
Hagens mentioned.