[rfc-i] Paginated vs. unpaginated

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Mar 27 07:37:04 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-27 16:26, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Looking through the recent trickle of messages, it feels like one of the "we gotta have format X" and "we must not have format Y" has used pagination as a reason, but not consistently. People with a strong opinion about whether the canonical format must be paginated (current text lineprinter format, PDF/A, Word with page breaks, ...) or must be unpaginated (HTML, text without page headers/footers/^L, Word without page breaks, ...) should maybe state that explicitly, not through a choice of format.
>
> --Paul Hoffman

Indeed.

And please do not confuse unpaginated with "can not be paginated". For
instance, all ebook formats (and also HTML) are by default unpaginated,
but can be paginated.

The difference is when it happens (on production or on display). The
latter is using hinting ("never break here", "you may break here") and
sometimes produces non-optimal results. But it does produce usable
results when "pre-formatted" fails completely.

Best regards, Julian