[rfc-i] transition plan for choosing alternative format for RFCs

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Tue Mar 27 07:05:15 PDT 2012

On 3/27/12 2:51 PM, "Phillip Hallam-Baker" <hallam at gmail.com> wrote:

>Isn't PDF a turing complete language?

No, it is not.  You are thinking of Postscript.

PDF is a structured binary file format.

>So can't it do anything?

No, it can not.

>What is important is not what the format can do under the exact right
>circumstances but what text that presents right can't do.

Actually, I would stay that it is a combination of what the format enables
AND what the viewer of that format allows.

>With PDF it is necessary to use very specialized tools to create the
>exact right output desired.

Not at all.

What makes you say that?

>If PDF/A is the standard then any PDF/A compliant document produced by
>a standard tool using standard settings has to be acceptable.

Just as you mention that need to do with HTML, you would need a "profile"
of PDF/A that stipulates what is (and is not) acceptable.