[rfc-i] transition plan for choosing alternative format for RFCs

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:51:53 PDT 2012

Isn't PDF a turing complete language?

So can't it do anything?

So why not implement a HTML interpreter/formatter in PDF?

Why not? Because it would be stupid. Nobody has a PDF creator that
works that way today.

What is important is not what the format can do under the exact right
circumstances but what text that presents right can't do.

With HTML4 it is necessary to have certain constraints to ensure that
the archive format supports recovery of the editing source text but
they are fairly easy to comply with. It takes a lot of time and effort
(place positioned text) to not comply.

With PDF it is necessary to use very specialized tools to create the
exact right output desired.

If PDF/A is the standard then any PDF/A compliant document produced by
a standard tool using standard settings has to be acceptable.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/