[rfc-i] transition plan for choosing alternative format for RFCs

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Mon Mar 26 19:34:38 PDT 2012

On 3/27/12 3:48 AM, "Tim Bray" <tbray at textuality.com> wrote:

>Let me be more specific. When I encounter a PDF document on my Android
>devices, say as an email attachment or the target of a web link, and I
>open it up, I get an irritating and uncomfortable reading experience,
>because the fixed format typical of PDF documents interacts poorly
>with the limited display space typical of such devices.

Sure, as that is the default viewing model for PDF.

However, as noted, many PDF viewers for Android (and other OS platforms)
support an option called "Reflow" where you can have the PDF content
reflow to your screen, just as HTML does.  I don't know what viewer you
current use, but as I noted, the Adobe Reader Mobile for Android is a FREE
application that does offer that feature.

>Thus my assertion that, in my personal experience, PDF provides a much
>lower level of usability than HTML in the mobile-device domain.

And my statement remains correct that it's NOT the format, but the viewer
(and view settings).

Leonard