[rfc-i] transition plan for choosing alternative format for RFCs

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Mon Mar 26 18:48:02 PDT 2012

Let me be more specific. When I encounter a PDF document on my Android
devices, say as an email attachment or the target of a web link, and I
open it up, I get an irritating and uncomfortable reading experience,
because the fixed format typical of PDF documents interacts poorly
with the limited display space typical of such devices.  With a
certain amount of panning and scrolling it is possible to read such
documents, but the experience is not good.

When I open an HTML resource on the built-in browser or any of the
other browsers available for the device, a couple of taps arrange for
the text to flow in such a fashion that it fills the screen at a
readable size and is very easy to scroll through.

Thus my assertion that, in my personal experience, PDF provides a much
lower level of usability than HTML in the mobile-device domain.

Is that specific enough?  -Tim