[rfc-i] transition plan for choosing alternative format for RFCs

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Mon Mar 26 02:52:39 PDT 2012

>PDF offers very poor readability on, for example, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I'm using to type this email.

No, PDF has nothing to do with that.

The choice of VIEWER that you are using is given you a bad experience with that document.

Don't blame the format for the failings of the viewer…

Leonard

From: Tim Bray <tbray at textuality.com<mailto:tbray at textuality.com>>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:31:08 -0700
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth at adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth at adobe.com>>
Cc: "rfc-interest at rfc-editor.org<mailto:rfc-interest at rfc-editor.org>" <rfc-interest at rfc-editor.org<mailto:rfc-interest at rfc-editor.org>>, Larry Masinter <masinter at adobe.com<mailto:masinter at adobe.com>>
Subject: RE: [rfc-i] transition plan for choosing alternative format for RFCs

PDF offers very poor readability on, for example, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I'm using to type this email. I keep having to pinch and unpinch and scroll around the page.  HTML, on the other hand, flows smoothly into the available screen width and auto-expands to do so at a very legible type size with a double-tap.

The usability contrast is not subtle. Also, the proportion of people who use this sort of mobile device for some or all of their interaction with data is growing fast.

-T

On Mar 25, 2012 8:58 AM, "Leonard Rosenthol" <lrosenth at adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth at adobe.com>> wrote:
> but speaking as a heavy user of various mobile devices, I'd like to register an early dissent against PDF in general.

Could you expand on why mobile devices have anything to do with the choice of a file format?

Thanks,
Leonard